Celebrities testing positive for COVID-19

Gabby Brailovskiy

With the number of coronavirus cases increasing, there have been many celebrities that have tested positive for the virus over the past few weeks. 

One of the first celebrities to confirm having the virus were Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks. The pair visited Australia due to Hanks shooting for a new movie and then began to develop flu-like symptoms. Hanks wrote in his Instagram post on March 11th, “@ritawilson and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.” However, after 2 weeks in quarantine they have returned to the United States and are now social distancing.

The first member of the royal family to test positive for the coronavirus is Prince Charles. A spokesperson for Clarence House said in a statement released on Wednesday, “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.” As for now, reports have it that Prince Charles is still in good health.

Andy Cohen, host of Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, has also tested positive for COVID-19. In his Instagram post he shared, “After a few days of self-quarantine, and not feeling great, I have tested positive for Coronavirus. As much as I felt like I could push through whatever I was feeling to do #WWHL from home, we’re putting a pin in that for now so I can focus on getting better.” Cohen has a 13-month old son and due to his health he has not been able to be in contact with him. Cohen called into Jeff Lewis Live to give an update on his health and his son. He said, “I’ll tell you what I know from the nanny cam and from video, because I can’t see him, which is the very worst part. But he’s great and his nanny tested negative.”

Former Bachelor, Colton Underwood shared his positive diagnosis on Instagram. He captioned the video stating, “I tested positive and I have been following all of the social distancing rules since last week. My symptoms started a few days ago, I was tested and just received my results today. For anyone out there that is hesitant to self quarantine… please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and stay home. We will all beat this and come out stronger on the other side. I’ll keep you posted, Love y’all.” About a week later he posted stating he is starting to feel closer to his normal self again, despite still having a mild cough. 

On March 16th, Idris Elba took to Twitter to report that he has also tested positive. “This morning I tested positive for COVID-19. I feel OK, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic.” In the video he posted, he was alongside his wife Sabrina Dhowre who has now revealed she has also contracted the virus. The couple continues to tweet and emphasize the importance for everyone to keep social distancing. 

At such a horrific time, we must remember all that we can do to help each other and those around us. Celebrities, whether they tested positive or not, are sharing just how crucial it is to follow orders so we can make sure to not put any more people in danger. Most importantly, we must keep in mind and thank all the hard working doctors and nurses who are helping each and everyone of these positive tested cases.